Got an eyesore of a scratch on your beautiful luxury vinyl plank flooring? Don’t worry — we can fix that with a little bit of effort and a few products on hand.
Scratches are inevitable. Although luxury vinyl plank flooring is scratch-resistant, abrasion marks on the surface of the flooring can show up from foot traffic or dragging furniture. How to remove scratches from luxury vinyl plank flooring depends on the depth of the scuff.
This article will discuss how to remove light and deep scratches from luxury vinyl plank flooring. We will also discuss the possible causes of scratches on flooring and how to prevent them. Let’s get into it.
Table of Contents
How to Remove Light Scratches from Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Light or fine scratches are limited to the top layer of luxury vinyl and do not penetrate deep into the flooring. Therefore, it’s easier to remove and repair.
Here are the two most effective methods to remove fine scratches from luxury vinyl plank flooring –
Method 1: Using a car wax or paste wax
|Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax, Durable Protection That Shines, Towel and Pad Included – 8 Oz…||$19.99||Buy on Amazon|
Step 3: Use a microfiber cloth to apply the paste wax in a circular motion. Car wax is also effective at removing fine scratches from the flooring. So, you can use car wax to remove scratches from luxury vinyl plank flooring if you have it in hand. Fill the entire scratched area with the wax and wipe off the excess. Take a clean cloth and rub the area gently to smoothen out the wax.
Method 2: Using a scratch-removing kit
Scratch concealers are excellent at concealing visible white scuff marks. WearMax Scratch Concealer conceals light scratches and creates a permanent waterproof seal. So, the damaged finish from scratch is also resealed. However, scratch concealers will not fill up gouges or deep scratches.
Step 1: Clean the area of the scratch thoroughly. If you use water, let the area dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
Step 2: Apply a sufficient amount of WearMax Scratch Concealer on the scratch. Rub the liquid over the scratch in a circular motion using a soft cloth until no residue remains.
Step 3: Avoid stepping or putting anything on the area for at least 4 hours. The concealer should cure and harden at this time so it doesn’t wash away later. You can clean the area once the seal is cured.
How to Remove Deep Scratches from Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
If the scratch has penetrated the floor, it is categorized as a deep scratch — and these are a little more difficult to fix. Gouges and dents are also considered deep scratches. You have two basic methods of dealing with a scratch like this — you can either sand the surrounding area down to match the scratched part or use a filler or a pen to fill up the cavity.
Here are the top two ways to remove deep scratches from luxury vinyl plank flooring –
Method 1: Sanding and waxing
Step 1: Wipe and clean the area thoroughly to remove all dust and debris.
Step 2: Sand the affected spot using medium-grit sandpaper. You can also use an electric sander in low speed and medium grit disc to achieve similar results faster. Ensure you only level the scratch without taking out too much of the plank.
Step 3: Remove the dust from sanding and sand the area again using fine-grit sandpaper or the fine-grit disk on an electric sander. Good quality electric sanders have a built-in dust collection system. So, there is no need for clean-ups afterward.
Step 4: In this step, check to see if the scuff mark is removed. If not, repeat steps 2 and 3 until the scratch is removed.
Step 5: Use a vinyl floor cleaner or rubbing alcohol to wipe off any remaining dust. You can also use hardwood-safe floor cleaners on your luxury vinyl floor.
Step 6: Once dry, apply paste wax to your floor to reseal it. Wax with shiny finishes also helps to conceal scratches and imperfections on the floor.
Method 2: Using a PU scratch fix pen and wood repair set
You need to fill deep scratches and gouges to remove them. The best product to fill holes and gouges is a wood repair set with multiple colors, as you need to match the shade of the plank. You will also need a sealer to reseal the area.
This wood repair set from Dr. Schutz comes with ten shades of filler for a close match. The kit also includes a PU scratch fix pen for resealing the area so the area isn’t prone to scratches after repair. Here is the step-by-step process of how to remove deep scratches from luxury vinyl plank flooring using a wood repairing kit and PU scratch fix pen –
Step 1: Round off any sharp edges of the damaged area using the brown slider included in the package. Clean the surface using the gray abrasive pad. It will also remove any remnant and smooth out the finer scratches. Remove dust and debris using a cotton cloth.
Step 2: Use the electric melting device and dip it into a filler rod that matches the shade of your floor. If the wax starts to smoke, that indicates it is too hot. So, you need to let the device cool down a bit to pick up the filler. Start filling the hole using the wax. You can also mix the waxes to get a closer shade match.
Step 3: Use the flat side of the device to remove any excess filler and smooth out the area. You can also create wood grains with darker shades for a natural look. Even out the area using the white abrasive pad included in the kit.
Step 4: Shake the PU scratch-fix pen for at least 20 seconds. Then squeeze out a modest amount and apply it to the area in the direction of the grain. Remove any excess product and let it dry. Once dry, you can rub it using the gray abrasive pad for a matte finish or the white pad for a glossy finish.
Replacing damaged luxury vinyl planks
Unfortunately, not all damaged luxury vinyl planks are salvageable. If the scratch has affected, cracked, or weakened the planks, you have no choice but to replace them.
Remove the plank using a scraper if your flooring is damaged beyond repair. If your floor is glued down, use a hammer and pry bar and chip at the toughened adhesive. Remove the old adhesive before putting in the new plank and sand the area to smoothen it.
In the case of a floating application, you can just put the new plank in its place. In the glued-down installation, apply adhesive on the back of the new plank and push it into the space. Make sure the new plank interlocks with the surrounding planks.
What Scratches Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Although the impact necessary to damage luxury vinyl plank flooring depends on the quality of the product, there are a few common reasons why you might notice scratches and scuff marks on your floor.
Some key causes for scratches on luxury vinyl plank flooring are –
- Heavy furniture or appliances – Moving these heavy objects without proper protection can leave nasty scuff marks on the floor. They can even chip away at the floor’s material and make deep scratches. Also, luxury vinyl plank flooring has a particular limit on how much weight it can handle. Exceeding that limit can also dent your floors.
- Dirt from outside – Soil and debris from outside can get caught between your shoes and the flooring, acting as sandpaper that will make surface-level scratches. Frequent cleaning and welcome mats can minimize dirt from entering your home. You can also use soft-sole slippers indoors.
- Sharp-edged toys – Children playing with sharp-edged toys or wheels can scratch your LVP flooring. Also, dropping heavy toys on the floor can cause some significant damage to the floor.
- Pet nails – If you have pets running around the house, their sharp claws can ruin your beautiful flooring. Keep their nails trimmed short so your pet’s zoomies give you joy instead of worries. You can also place pet-safe carpets to protect your vinyl planks.
- Cleaning using hard-bristled brushes – Scrubbing luxury vinyl using hard-bristled brushes or steel wool can damage the flooring surface. Harsh chemicals and detergent can also damage the top layers of LVP.
- Rolling casters — the small rotating wheels at the legs of chairs, tables, and trolleys pose a significant risk of scratching vinyl floors.
How to Prevent Scratches on Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Although luxury vinyl plank is scratch-resistant by design, here are a few things that you can do to protect it further from scuffs and dents –
- Lift heavy furniture before moving them, as dragging them can leave deep scratches or even dent the sturdiest floor. Vinyl flooring can chip off or break from dragging heavy furniture on the floor.
- Use floor protectors under furniture legs and appliances to avoid scratching up the floor when they naturally shift and make small movements. Floor protectors also provide traction and keep the furniture fixed in its place.
|Felt Furniture Pads X-PROTECTOR 133 PCS Premium Furniture Pads – Felt Pads Furniture Feet Best Wood…||$9.99||Buy on Amazon|
- Apply protective coating regularly. It saves your vinyl plank flooring from scratches. Even if your vinyl flooring comes with a protective layer, it may wear off over time.
- Clean the surface of the floor regularly as sand, debris, and dust particles can drag on the surface when you step on them and damage the wear layer.
- If you use a vacuum cleaner, use the hard floor setting on the vacuum to avoid scratching the flooring surface with the brush roll.
- Place a doormat at the entrance or front door to limit the dust and debris entering your home.
- Avoid rolling casters — the small rotating wheels at the legs of chairs, tables, and trolleys pose a significant risk of scratching vinyl floors. If you have rolling casters, place a rug underneath to avoid rolling them on the luxury vinyl directly.
Do you have any questions on how to remove scratches from luxury vinyl plank flooring? Comment below and let us know!