“Hurry! My dog just peed on the carpet. What do I do?”
Take a deep breath. You got this. Our good boys and girls having a little mishap on the carpet is not the end of the world. There are plenty of ways to effectively get dog pee out of the carpet.
The most effective way to get dog pee out of the carpet is to act fast, possibly as soon as you catch them in the act. However, if you are dealing with an older incident where it has already stained the carpet, it is possible to save it too.
This article will show you step-by-step how to get dog pee out of carpet using four different methods with bonus tips on how to prevent your dog from peeing on the carpet. Keep reading!
How to Get Dog Pee Out of Carpet using Household Items
Step 1: Soak up the urine
If your carpet is still wet, blot the urine as much as possible using a paper towel or similar absorbent materials. Cover the area with a towel and apply pressure. Refrain from rubbing as it will spread the urine to other carpet areas.
Step 2: Apply vinegar cleaning solution
Mix one part vinegar with one part water, put the cleaning solution in a spray bottle, and spray onto the area until it is saturated. Let the solution sit for at least 20 minutes. Vinegar neutralizes the ammonia in the urine and removes the odor. You can also lightly scrub it gently at this point. Use a paper towel to dry the carpet. Dry both sides if possible.
Step 3: Sprinkle baking soda
Once the carpet is dry, sprinkle the area lightly with baking soda to soak up any remaining pungent odor. You can leave the baking soda for a day and vacuum it to finish.
- For Baking, Cleaning, and Deodorizing
- Free of harsh chemicals and gentle enough to use on many surfaces
- America’s no 1 trusted baking soda brand
Alternate DIY cleaning solution
- One 32-fluid ounce bottle of first aid antiseptic
- First aid to help prevent risk of infection from minor cuts, scrapes and burns
- Active ingredient: 3% hydrogen peroxide (stabilized)
- 50 percent Less Scrubbing
- Contains 3x Grease Cleaning Power (cleaning ingredients per drop vs. Dawn Non-Concentrated)
Another homemade cleaning solution that has also proven to be very effective at cleaning up dog urine from carpets is a mixture of a cup of hydrogen peroxide, a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap, and a cup of water. Mix them all together and apply them on the carpet. Let it soak for 20 minutes and dry the area thoroughly.
How to Get Dog Pee Out of Carpet Using Pet Urine Cleaner (Enzymatic Cleaners)
- CERTIFIED GENTLE AND SAFE Chlorine free and color safe. Safe to use around pets and children. No hazardous propellants, no residue left behind. So gentle it’s been Certified Safe for all carpets, earning the Seal of Approval by the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI)
- ELIMINATES STAINS, ODORS AND RESIDUE If it’s gross, it’s gone. Not just the stain, but the stink. From stinky yellow pet urine and feces to vomit and other organic spills, our professional strength formula tackles them all.
- EVERY SURFACE, EVERY TIME For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet living and sleeping areas—anywhere stains happen.
Pet urine cleaners or enzymatic cleaners are highly effective at breaking down urine from the carpet fibers and eliminating any odor. Biological cleaning products contain a live solution of ‘good’ or ‘friendly’ (non-pathogenic) bacteria to break down ‘bad’ disease-causing (pathogenic) bacteria. Before using a pet urine cleaner on your carpet, pre-test it for colorfastness on a hidden area.
- Spray the pet urine cleaner or enzymatic cleaner on the carpet liberally.
- Let the cleaner sit for 30-60 minutes or as the manufacturer indicates.
- Fold a towel and place heavy objects on top to wick the residual liquid.
- Let the carpet air dry.
- Once dried, vacuum and inspect the area.
- Repeat the process if the stain or odor persists.
How to Get Dog Pee Out of Carpet Using Carpet Cleaners
- Every Bissell purchase helps save pets. Bissell proudly supports Bissell pet foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.Power Rating 7.2 V
- Spray, scrub and suction to remove pet stains and messes from carpet, upholstery, stairs, area rugs, auto interiors, and more.
- Grab and go cordless convenience; enjoy the freedom of a lithium-powered handheld carpet cleaner that lifts away stains using formula and powerful suction.
- Every Purchase Saves Pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Removes Spots & Stains. Lift away messes from carpets, upholstery, car interiors and more. Power Rating: 3 Amps, Power Source: Corded
- Strong Spray & Suction. Remove tough pet stains with strong spray and suction.
Even though carpet cleaners are expensive, you can rent them from your local cleaners to deal with these mishaps. It might be more convenient for you to go for compact and affordable carpet cleaners like Bissell Little Green Machine or even one dedicated to pet owners like Bissell Pet Stain Eraser. These are much more handy, affordable, and portable than a regular carpet cleaner — ideal for home use.
- Pretreat the area with your preferred cleaning solution to break down the urine as much as possible.
- Fill your carpet cleaning machine with a cleaning solution and water or however your specific device specifies.
- Turn the machine on and push it back and forth over the affected area with the spray button pressed. Try to limit the number of “wet passes” so as not to soak the carpet completely.
- Next, make “dry passes” over the wet carpet until the carpet is left slightly damp.
- Now, change the cleaning solution to warm water and run the machine back and forth over the area with the spray button pressed to clean up any leftover cleaning solution. Rerun the machine without pressing the spray button to dry the area.
- Air-dry the carpet completely. You can also use fans to speed up the drying process.
How to Get Old Urine Stains Out of Carpet
If the dog pee is left unnoticed, it dries into the fiber of the carpet and stains it. Dried-up dog urine also has the characteristic stale smell that lets you know your furry friend has had an accident somewhere. You might need to get on all four and use your sniffer to identify where the odor is coming from. You can also use a pet urine detector to help you locate the “crime scene.”
- Practicle: 395nm wavelength help detect animal urine and food stains on rugs, carpets and clothes that couldn’t see with naked eye
- Portable: The pocket-size UV flashlight can be carried along to detect stains in your car or illuminate minerals, body art. Essential tool for pet lovers, portable and lightweight torch, convenient to carry to anywhere.
Now that you have identified the spot, start by rinsing the area with soapy water. You can either use a towel to wet and blot the spot repeatedly. But a carpet cleaner is the most effective way to wash the site and absorb as much dried-up urine as possible. Go over the area with wet settings to wash and again with the dry setting to absorb all the water. Repeat a few times. Then finish up by going over the spot with warm water only as the last wash. However, don’t use a steam cleaner, as the heat will set the odor and stain permanently.
If the odor or stain persists, use an enzymatic cleaner indicated explicitly for pet urine. Spray the pet urine cleaner on the carpet liberally and let it sit for 30-60 minutes or as suggested by the manufacturer. You can also leave it overnight to deal with more difficult stains. Next, fold a towel, place heavy objects on top, wick the residual liquid, and let the carpet air dry. Once dried, vacuum and inspect the area. Repeat with the pet urine cleaner if the stain or odor persists.
Tips to Prevent Your Dog from Peeing on the Carpet
Potty training is one of the most critical parts of housebreaking your puppy. However, a few mishaps along the way is natural. But the problem occurs when it becomes a repetitive cycle. Once your dog pees on the carpet, it will likely pee there again because odor attracts them and tells them it is okay to pee there again. So, it is crucial that you remove any pet urine stains and smell completely to break the cycle.
You can use vinegar to deter your dog from peeing on the carpet. The Clean ‘n’ Tidy Don’t Pee Here Spray is also a great product that will prevent your dog from peeing on the carpet or anywhere else around the house. You can also waterproof the rugs to minimize the damage.
Acting fast is the most crucial part of getting dog urine out of the carpet. Although we have discussed several different ways, sometimes nothing works, or your carpet cannot handle too many failed attempts. Seeking the help of a professional is the best way to save your carpet if everything else fails.